Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Handwork


This is my project for the next couple days. I am stitching these to go on a plane to loved ones in Ukraine. I wish I were going too, but that is not the best thing at this time. So many things going on in their country... What I love so much about stitching is that there is love poured into every little thread. I feel like I am giving a piece of myself away throughout the whole process. There are memories of times we have spent together, prayers spoken for their needs, hopes and desires to be together again, thankfulness for the path God leads me down, though at times I can't see around the next bend in the road. There is this tangible piece of fabric and thread, but behind it is this Grand Plan. I am filled with gratitude at the thought of it.

Also part of the whole creative process is the interruption. How could you resist those chubby baby hands! I always have to adjust my lenses so I see beyond this interrupted moment, so I remember what is really important. That she will grow up. That I must enjoy every baby moment and not live with regret. If it is not done with love, it's not worth doing.

I am hoping these will turn into three mini-quilts. I found the Joel Dewberry fat quarters today at my LQS. I had overlooked them several times before because they aren't really in my color range, but today they just spoke to me. You know, right? I remember being a kid, and some picture books my teachers read to our class had that same magenta/orange color scheme. Somehow I always loved those colors. They remind me of my childhood when I dreamed about someday being the teacher in front of the class.

Speaking of my LQS, it is just a few miles from my house, and it's right on my way home when I am running errands. How convenient! I usually take a kid or two, and we rummage through the scrap basket and $1 fat quarter bin. It's like candy, except much healthier for us! Even my sons are beginning to collect fabric.  Oh dear, what am I doing...

I will post pictures of the finished mini-quilts when they are en route to Ukraine (and a piece of my heart is gone along with them).

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you writing about your creations. Love that we share the same spirit in the process, in praying for the receiver of the gift, the memories created, and the places visited.

    Blessings on your household.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete