Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Scrappy Happy

This is what I made last night:

Business cards for my Etsy shop, made from upcycled grocery bags and scraps of linen and quilting cottons. I confess. I am a scrap hoarder. It really is ridiculous, but no piece is too small to throw away. Or too ugly (well, OK, maybe sometimes...)




 I cut my paper bags and fabric into business-card-sized pieces as I want these to fit in a card holder if needed. I then used my VersaCraft stamp pad, which works equally well on paper and fabric, and spent a while fiddling with the tiny letters getting them right-side-up. I like the raw look, but backwards letters are a little unacceptable. Ahem.




 After cutting the paper to size with decorative scissors (please not your fabric ones!), a little smaller so the border of fabric would show,  I attached the paper to the linen with a glue stick. I chose a pretty fabric for the back and put the layers together. Super simple. Then with an old sewing machine needle I sewed around the paper to attach all layers. Lastly, I trimmed the fabric with my pinking shears. This project is so forgiving because it is not supposed to look perfect. That's about my speed.




 
I am thinking of putting a magnet between the layers next batch I make. Handy to put up in a place where they'll be seen.

These were so relaxing to make. Not a lot of pressure to get it right the first time. There are always more scraps and paper bags after all!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I might have to try making a few some time.

    I don't throw away my scraps either. But I do stuff the tiniest ones into pet beds. Last week a friend of mine designed a mini house paper pieced pattern and I actually pulled out and used scraps from my pet bed bag in that block. It's really cute. And she's giving the pattern away for free on my blog: http://www.adventuresofaquiltingdiva.com/paper-piecing/jessicas-cabin/

    ReplyDelete