Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ruffled Baby Bib--Finished!

This is a little project I just finished from a new book called Sweetly Stitched Handmades by Amy Sinibaldi at NanaCompany, one of my favorite blogs in the whole world! I am so glad she finally wrote a book, and word has it that there is another one in the works. Yay!

I really had a hard time getting started on this! I couldn't decide which fabrics to pull together or what embellishments to use. As always, you just have to choose something and go with it. My jumping off point was this little berry cross stitch pattern I found on Pinterest. Cross stitching on linen really tests your eyesight! I liked how it turned out though.

I adore ticking fabric, especially paired with linen. Then I found this eyelet ruffle in my stash. Originally the ruffle and beaded trim were attached, but I took them apart to place them separately. I also used some of that leftover linen from the cross stitch (that linen was actually a pillow sham at one time), and appliqued it as that narrow strip under the beading. It's nice to have the guidelines of the ticking to keep things straight.

Hand quilting is kind of new to me, but this needed a touch of handwork. So I stitched the diamond grid by hand. I also attached the cross stitch patch with hand stitching.

The back is barely peeking through, but it is a soft and absorbent fuzzy chenille. It gives extra body to the bib, as well as a nice cozy feel.

The binding is a stripe that I have used for multiple projects. It was thrifted a long time ago, and I love it, especially cut on the bias. I never measure binding right. This one I would cut narrower next time as it was really hard to fit around the small curve. Usually I cut binding too small, and you can't fix that.

Also, I would enlarge the pattern even more. This bib is for a very small baby, which is OK, just not what I expected. I was just not sure how to get the exact size right on my printer, nor did I want to spend time messing with it at that moment. I vote for downloadable patterns, or a CD, so we don't have to mess with copying and resizing on the printer.

I will get around to reviewing the whole book and posting other completed projects as I continue sewing through the book.  I am doing these as part of a Sweetly Stitched Handmades sew along on Instagram. I love sewing with a virtual community!

On a different note, this song has been running through my mind today. One of my favorites to sing during this laid back time of year. And it evokes good memories of the South where I grew up.


Summertime, and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
So hush little baby, Don't you cry
One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singing
And you'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky
But 'til that morning, there ain't nothin' can harm you
With Daddy and Mammy standin' by
Summertime, and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
So hush little baby, Don't you cry
One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singing
And you'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky
But 'til that morning, there ain't nothin can harm you
With Daddy and Mammy standin' by


No comments:

Post a Comment