Friday, September 9, 2016

Delightful Friday--Churn Dash and Eggrolls

It felt so good to come to the end of this day, the end of the first week of school for me and many of my friends. It was a good week. We worked hard. My piano studio is the fullest it's ever been, and I have added my own kids to the roster as well. That makes 19-20 kids! I am so grateful for each one that walks through my door. Making and teaching music is the joy of my life!

I think the highlight of my sewing week was letting the Boxcar Tote cat "out of the bag." Ha ha. It is a funny story--I was listening to a recent Modern Sewciety podcast and happened to hear Stephanie joke about wanting someone to send her a Boxcar Tote. I thought, "How cool would it be to actually make her one and send it to her?" So I did! And she received it and loves it. I love surprising people! I feel like I made a new friend in doing so.

Sewing time is a little scarce now that school is in session. But I sneak a little here and there. The Churn Dash quilt top is nearly finished.


Churn Dash blocks completed!


Cute mess of dog ears

Block layout of the wonky Churn Dash quilt

Of course no project is complete without a roadblock or two. I had to reorder the gray Essex Linen. When I cut out the remaining pieces, I still came up short. Sheesh. So I ordered it again because I want to add one more row to this top. It will end up a little bigger now. I am going for a square top.


This has nothing to do with quilts, but it does have something to do with Friday. A little while back my husband discovered these $1.29 egg rolls at Safeway. Often we will take a kid there and have a little time together. It's close to home, doesn't cost much, and they love it. Sometimes we talk, and sometimes we just sit there and enjoy our snack, no words necessary.

It is a rare occasion that I am at the store by myself. Well, today I was, and I sneaked an egg roll (no, I didn't steal it) and ate it all up as I sat in the parking lot. I didn't have to share it. It was absolutely delightful. It even dribbled all over my shirt, and I didn't care. It was so good. Three cheers for mama moments. Just what I needed this afternoon after a full teaching day. Thank you, Lord, for simple pleasures.


No comments:

Post a Comment