Sunday, September 11, 2016

The "Say Yes" Challenge

I have realized recently that through the years I have said "no" to my kids a lot. "No" is a very good thing if I am teaching them respect, obedience, and self control. But when not balanced with a generous portion of "yes," you end up with some empty tanks, and that is not pleasant at all! My husband and I have made a little challenge for ourselves to say "yes," if at all possible and in their best interests, to the kids' requests. "Can you read me [this mile-high] stack of books?" "Can we go on a walk?" "I want to help you scoop the muffins." "Will you color with me?" It isn't always feasible, especially in the middle of cooking, but we have tried to be more generous with our responses. And in doing that, we have, like mine diggers, unearthed some otherwise hidden treasures of our kids' personalities and their particular stages of development, even revisiting childhood ourselves sometimes.

This past weekend I said "yes" to a walk outside with the Littles. I really wanted to do my own projects, but I chose against that. And look!

We have been hunting for four-leaf clovers (at least, I have), and I found one! I have never found one in all my life. Oh, the joy of saying "yes!".

We also found some other treasures. Seeds of all sorts, and something that's not a seed.

I just love those times we spend together. Without getting all sappy, I will just say, saying "yes" helps me treasure the moments that so quickly fade away.


Here is my current work in progress. It is the Cateye Pouch from Thread Riding Hood. I have made it a couple times, and I love the pattern so much. It is another surprise for someone unsuspecting, hee hee! I found the orange shot cotton at Value Village yesterday. I am on a fabric-buying freeze except for scraps and solids. So I didn't cheat! Angus the dog made it into the picture too. I love the colors in that book.

I did meander into a quilt shop the other day, and I began to drool over a bolt or two I found in the clearance section. But I walked away with empty hands. Pat me on the back!


Some other goodies I found at Value Village yesterday. Someone must have purged Grandma's linen chest, because there were all sorts of pretty embroidered things there. But I couldn't buy them all.


Look at this gorgeous crocheted apron I found for $2! I think it would be so dainty with a little Easter dress.

I believe it was handmade. And the blue satin ribbons sealed the deal for me.

Here's to a new week of "yes." Try it--I bet you will like the results.



No comments:

Post a Comment