Friday, September 23, 2016

Fall is Falling

A friend recently asked me what my favorite season was. Unequivocally, spring. No doubt about it. I love new life, longer days, warmer temperatures, the end of the school year. It thrills me.

Fall is hard for me to embrace. It is beautiful, but in a sad sort of way. It is like a last dying breath, a short-lived blaze of glory before everything goes to sleep. Oh, I know that spring will come again. The seeds fall into the ground and wait for their day. Hope buries itself in the earth, and we have to wait for a resurrection. There is a sort of pain in my soul every year when September comes around. I don't like it when things die.

This September has been a typical gorgeous curtain call. The actors are taking their final bows, and the play is over. And they are very flamboyant about it all, hanging on to the applause until the very last possible moment.



The last flowers of the season.


Seattle September Skies


These colors are breathtaking.



The light is golden, and the shadows are getting longer.



Green and gold



Leaves barely hanging on to the branches


This maple tree will shortly turn into blaze of red.


September is the season for spiders. We watched this one catch his supper, actually another spider!



There is a house being built just down the road. I love hearing all the machinery and construction noise. And the smells of a new house...one of my very favorite things. It has nothing to do with September, except this year.




Around here, September means chanterelles! My husband foraged these, and we ate them. Everything about them is sensual--the color, the smell of the dirt, the delicate gills, the smell of them cooking (to me they smell like clean clothes!), the texture in your mouth. Heavenly!


And of course a September quilting project, while I can still take pictures outside. This is the backing to my Churned quilt, jelly roll race style. No math involved.

Farewell, summer! We will see you again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment