Monday, August 29, 2016

Baby Steps

I thought I’d post a few things I have been doing or plan to begin doing as we start the new school year. These are not earth-shattering ideas, but they are baby steps to a more orderly and pleasant routine. I am not good at making drastic changes. But these are little ideas, and by putting them here I guess I am making myself accountable.

I must preface that we have 10 people living in this house. There are always dirty dishes. Period. However, I have been really trying to get all of them put in the dishwasher ASAP so that my sink is empty. Every time I handwash, I scrub the sink. I love it so much more. That leads me to…



Mrs. Meyers, oh how I love you. Washing dishes and scrubbing the floor will never be the same. You transform housekeeping into a heavenly experience!

Not too long ago I learned about Grove Collaborative, an online subscription service for household items. They have great prices, automatic shipments (if you want them), and no membership fees or requirements. If I want to skip a delivery or have something shipped before the delivery date, that is no problem. Their customer service is fantastic, and they have options for free shipping if you order a certain amount. They also give a generous referral bonus if your friends join. Some other products I especially love are their walnut scrubber sponges (I use them all the time!), their kitchen towels (I give the as hostess gifts), and their glass spray bottles (pretty and functional).



Other simple things I have tried in the past and plan to re-implement: posting the weekly menu for the kids to see. When each kid asks me separately what’s for supper, that gets to be a lot. The same applies to my weekly personal commitments. They are now posted on the wall so no one needs to ask me who is coming or what the schedule is.

I like the idea of “pegging,” which is simply attaching a task to something you already normally do, like taking a shower or washing your hands. Wash your hands, clean the counter. Take a shower, immediately do daily Bible reading. I did some of this last year, and I loved it. I am actually well on my way to reading the whole Bible this year simply because I have pegged it to another routine.

Big things happen when you do them one little bit at a time. With that in mind, I am really looking forward to a great year!










No comments:

Post a Comment