Thursday, August 25, 2016

That Thing You Keep Looking At

There has been a mess in my kitchen I have passed so many times this afternoon without wiping it up. I have started to but then just walked away. I don't know why except that it's peanut butter, and I really don't like the smell of peanut butter on my hands, or anyone else's hands for that matter.  But why did I not stop the first time and grab a tissue and wipe it up? I can't answer that question. It only took a second to put the smelly mess in the trash.

I have felt the same way about my fabric stash lately. I walk by it every day, but I rarely take time to dig into it. If I have a project, I will grab pieces from the scrap box because they are more convenient to get into. Isn't it true that sometimes your stash can actually stifle your creativity? That thing you keep passing by, neglecting to pay attention to, sucks energy right out of you.

I recently decided it would be prudent to go on a fabric-buying freeze (maybe except for the scrap basket at my LQS and for necessary solids and supplies). I also bought Natalia Bonner's book Modern One-Block Quilts with the intention of sewing through it. I like that she gives 3 different sizes for each project, and I like that some of them can be made scrappy. Seems like a great stash-busting project.




I hauled out a big bin of my favorite prints this afternoon and reacquainted myself with them. I chose a few to put together a mini-churn dash block quilt found in this book. I think it will piece together quickly.



I like to mix up collections--here is Tanya Whelan, Pam Kitty, Tasha Noel, Bonnie and Camille, and Essex Linen Dove Gray

I am still waiting on the Decor Bond yardage so I can move along on the Boxcar Tote. I had ordered it, then the store informed me they were out of stock. So I just went on Amazon and ordered 10 yards of the stuff. It ended up way cheaper per yard, especially since shipping was free. I did get the pieces I had fused to the fabric last night. I really don't enjoy that step--glad it is mostly done! Almost ready to sew the pieces together.

I picked up some books on free-motion quilting from the library yesterday. I have dabbled in it before, but it takes consistent practice to get good at it. I would love to get better at it. I have it on my radar to practice a little every day.

Got the little peanut butter mess cleaned up. The hardest part is just deciding to do it. I am going to go cut some fabric!





No comments:

Post a Comment