Thursday, August 18, 2016

Summertime

A few glimpses of summer around here:

On clear evenings the hot air balloons often float right over our house. Sometimes you can even talk to the people in the basket. I am dreaming that one day they will land on our street. Or that one day I will go up in one myself. 

About eight years ago I made a sourdough starter from scratch. It was an experiment that I didn't realize would be such a success. But then the starter languished in the back of my refrigerator for a couple years, a dried hockey puck-like object I just couldn't bring myself to throw out. I finally decided a couple weeks ago to try to revive it. Sure enough, it came back. My family is so excited every time I bake with it. Bread, pancakes, muffins, pizza crust...


Have you heard of Buy Nothing groups? I joined our community's group a year or so ago. We have been purging the house this summer, and Buy Nothing has been an amazing venue to help us accomplish this. One lady came to pick up her items from my porch, heard my son practicing violin, and was so touched that she showed up the next day with this cherry pastry, warm from the oven! I have since had her over for coffee and made a friend out of the whole deal. Life is about so much more than stuff!

The big kids were away with my husband, a rare opportunity for me to spend time with the littlest two kids. So we went for a walk and found some treasures. One of these is not like the others; I just found it on the floor and tossed it into the picture. The veins on that leaf just seemed amazing to me. And the colors...

I have been sewing up a storm. I have 4 or 5 more blocks to go on Farmer's Wife 1930's. That will make 99! I don't know how I will put them together yet. A big quilt is intimidating to me. I am not very good at quilting yet. 

I recently read this article that just hit me squarely between the eyeballs. Instagram is my favorite social media outlet, but I have to admit it does tempt me to spend money. This sale, that sale, this destash, that new line you really like...it adds up. When I look at what I do have, I am almost paralyzed by it sometimes. So my new goal is to use what I have. I am going to try some bigger quilt projects to really showcase what I have (and I really only do buy what I love, and I very rarely buy full price). I am going to try more garment sewing as well. So there. Bust that stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment