Monday, August 22, 2016

My Secret Quilting Life

I am not very public about my quilting life outside of Instagram and this blog. The fact is, I am a very busy mom, wife, piano teacher and student, and church musician. That is what I live for, and those are my first loves, my identity. I don't want that to change.

However, I am passionate about sewing and make time to do it almost every day. It calms me after busy days, inspires my creativity, and gives me something industrious to do that actually stays done and is pretty to look at. I try not to be inordinate about it, but it is just so much fun. I can't imagine life without it.

Several years ago I started seeing these Farmer's Wife blocks popping up on Pinterest and some of my favorite blogs. Kristyne and Camille, to name a couple, just made me drool with the blocks they made. I tried a couple for myself, but I didn't feel like I was good enough to demolish a whole stack of fabric to make the whole quilt.

Fast forward a couple years, and out came Farmer's Wife 1930's. I had been collecting my favorite fabrics for a while, too afraid to cut into them, undecided about how to use them. Then I heard about Angie's and Kerry's quilt-alongs through this book. What a great way to bust my stash, learn new techniques, and make those blocks I had been admiring.

It has been almost a year since I started this lovely little journey, and yesterday...


I was able to photograph all 99 blocks, finished!

I am tickled about this. I did what I didn't think I could do. I put fear and inability behind me and just decided to just go for it. And I have to say, foundation paper piecing saves the day with all the tiny pieces in these blocks.

I have to thank my favorite podcasters for all their inspiration. Stephanie at Modern Sewciety, I have become a complete sewing podcast junkie thanks to you! You are a true inspiration. And there are others:


Now onward and upward. I am going to put these blocks away for awhile and think about how to put them together. I have some other projects I would like to do in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment